The Residential Property Team at Andrew & Co Solicitors will be travelling to Liverpool on...
Charities and not-for-profit organisations require a wealth of legal advice to ensure their organisations run smoothly. We have years of experience of acting for charitable clients and non-profit organisations, and are alive to the latest legislative and compliance issues they face on a day-to-day basis.
Catriona Wheeler, who has over twenty years’ experience in commercial law and is a member of the Charity Law Association, leads our charity law team. Under her expert guidance they can assist you with:
- Setting up a charity, including considering the appropriate charitable objects and whether what you are considering doing is within the meaning of public benefit;
- The best type structure to have – should it be a charitable trust, a charitable company, a charitable incorporated organisation (CIO) or, if the organisation is not to be charity is it best to have a Community Interest Company (CIC), a company limited by guarantee or an unincorporated association;
- Buying and selling charitable land;
- Advising on corporate governance
- Dealing with changes to your charity, such as incorporating your charity or becoming a CIO;
- Changing your constitution to make it more up to date;
- Merging charities; and
- Winding up dissolving charities.
Breadth of Service
Charities have to be run in accordance with charity law, but they and other nonprofit organisations may also be affected by issues that affect those in the profit making sector. They may need employment advice, be involved in a dispute, need guidance on their constitution. We can advise on these and a whole range of other issues, providing clients with the confidence that they are implementing the right strategies for their organisation.
Our charities team collaborates with members of the commercial department and private client team to provide rounded advice and guidance on strategic matters when required.