Partner and Head of Wills & Estate Planning at Andrew & Co Solicitors Helen Newson writes...
Renewable Energy Sector
The issues surrounding renewable energy investment projects such as wind turbines, solar parks and biomass boilers may be complex in nature and often involve a raft of legal documentation that warrants specialist advice.
Before investing in a renewable energy project it is important to understand what the financial and other risks might be? For example, to what extent would a buyer be able to rely on the warranties given by a wind turbine supplier should it generate noise above permitted planning consent levels and thereby result in noise complaints?
As a supplier of biomass boilers, what if the customer does not use the correct feedstock type as recommended and then claims that the unit is underperforming?
And what about the contract grower of Miscanthus or other energy crops who cannot meet the agreed volumes due to circumstances beyond his control? What might his liability be?
Recognising the opportunities for landowners, developers, growers, investors and suppliers in the exciting sector of renewable energy, Andrew & Co LLP have recruited and put together a dedicated team of lawyers who are able to provide sensible, plain English advice that will assist in minimising the risks often associated with these types of transactions.
We can help you with:
- Advice and negotiation of all types of micro-generator supply and maintenance contracts
- Advice on financing and structuring your renewable energy project
- Wind turbine airport mitigation schemes
- Leasing your land and grid connection agreements
- Energy crop supply agreements
- Drafting bespoke supplier and maintenance agreements
- Investment agreements and due diligence on investors
- Joint ventures and shareholder agreements
- Interpretation of legislation
- Post project disputes