The History of Andrew & Co Solicitors

Flag icon

1832

September: William Andrew established Andrew & Co in Lincoln at 39 Silver Street. A few months later in January he became a Commissioner for Oaths.

Silver Street Sign

1857

After 25 years, the firm moves offices for the first time to 7 Silver Street, Lincoln.

A Judges Gavel

1861

Frederick Andrew, who is the fourth child of William Andrew, follows his father's footsteps and becomes a solicitor.

Silhouette of 2 people wearing ties

1863

Frederick Andrew together with William Manby become partners at Andrew & Co. The firm is known as Andrew, Son and Manby.

A handshake

1865

12 July: After leading a full and busy life, William Andrew dies. He leaves the firm, and the belongings relating to his profession along with a small legacy of £750 to his son Frederick in hope of striving to conduct his business in such manner as to maintain the character as a professional man. The firm becomes known as Andrew and Manby.

Silhouette of 1 person wearing a tie

1889

After William Manby leaves in 1877, Alexander Trotter joins the partnership for over a year and for the time being, the firm becomes known as Andrew and Trotter.

Silhouette of 1 person wearing a tie

1900

Henry Thompson becomes a partner and firm's name changes to Andrew and Thompson.

53 Years Icon

1916

16 May: After 53 years of partnership at the firm, Frederick Andrew dies.

A feather quill

1922

The firm was bought by Edwin Craven Midgley.

Silhouette of 2 people wearing ties

1926

The firm is called Race, Hill & Co after Russell Race takes into partnership James William and Francis Hill.

Andrew Race, Midgley & Hill Icon

1927

The firm amalgamates and practises under name of Andrew, Race, Midgley & Hill after Russell Race's death in 1926.

St Swithin's Sign

1929

The firm moves for the second time to a new location at St Swithin's Square in Lincoln.

A target

1940

Assistant solicitor Philip Race joins the Royal Air Force for 7 years.

Silhouette of 2 people wearing ties

1948

Mr. Hill admits Philip Race and Edward Mason to partnership and the firm's name changes to Andrew, Race, Hill & Mason.

A medal

1958

Sir Francis Hill is knighted.

Ampersand

1963

1 January: After 131 years, the firm's name changes to well known today Andrew & Co.

Silhouette of 1 person wearing tie

1976

Chris Hunter becomes a partner.

54 Years Icon

1980

6 January: After 54 years of exceptional work and partnership with Andrew & Co, Sir Francis Hill dies.

Silhouette of 1 person wearing tie

1985

Philip Hoskins becomes a partner.

Interlocking symbol

1989

Andrew & Co becomes a founder member of LawNet, a federation of Independent Law Firms. LawNet now consists of some 65 firms across England and Wales. Membership gives Andrew & Co access to experience, expertise and resources beyond those available to most mid market law firms. This strengths and reinforces the offering to our clients and the quality of that offering.

PC Symbol

1998

At Andrew & Co technology was always embraced. During the 90's word processors were used but we gradually introduced computers to every member of staff, which improved the communication between us and our clients.

Mouse arrow

2000

Andrew & Co launches its first website.

Birthday Cake

2007

Andrew & Co merge with Neville Denham & Co in Newark and take over the office on Kirkgate. We celebrate 175 years of Andrew & Co Solicitors as well as being awarded ISO 9001:2008 thereby underpinning and recognising the firms commitment to providing a quality service to all clients.

Building symbol

2009

By this year, Andrew & Co expanded its services range to Motor Law, Notary, Equine Law and Debt recovery. Also, the firm moves to purpose built offices in Flavian Road in Lincoln. The new offices are easier for clients to access and provide our staff with a better and more efficient working environment. The move has enabled us to improve the quality of client service and given the nature and location of the building help re-inforce the whole client experience at Andrew & Co.

Mouse arrow

2013

Andrew & Co re-design a website, which is more presentable and easier to navigate.

Andrew & Co Solicitors Icon

2016

Andrew & Co moves to larger premises in Newark on London Road, the firm has grown considerably since the merger nine years ago and the move enables the firm to take on further growth in Newark to support our growing client base. We take on a new brand for the firm and develop a new website.